Skip to main content

Online resources



When we first embarked on the home educating/schooling ship, it was a daunting prospect. I won't lie, I had a vague idea of what I needed to 'teach' and an even vaguer idea of where to find resources. Over the years I have subscribed to multiple sites, bought an excess of books and accumulated more educational toys than the local nursery. It has been and will continue to be a learning journey for all of us. Little person is 7, verging on 8 and I can finally say I have an online resource that I really like...so much so, I have made sure we have a lifetime subscription! I won't make a list of all those that we tried, but I will tell you, I have enjoyed using Education.com so much, it has been the winner in my books (hence the lengthy subscription). 

Education.com - the winner

You may wonder why I chose Education.com, and I will definitely explain my reasoning. There are a few things that really stood out for me, such as:
  • Easy search tool - I never know what little person might want to learn, so love the ability to put the keywords in search and ta-dah...worksheets galore!
  • Workbooks. We have printed so many workbooks over the years. From addition to geometry. It is wonderful to be able to search a topic and have a booklet to work through. 

  • Lesson plans, these are life savers! There are times when I'm trying so hard to think of ways of teaching a topic, and my mind fails me...all I do is log on and search the lesson plans. Makes teaching so much easier, and as little person gets older I know I will be using these far more than before. 
  • Online games. There are so many times when my son wants to use iPad for educational games, and it's a bit painstaking searching through google to try and find games, apps (from apple store for us) are great but so many have in app purchases it gets a little frustrating, so what easy way than to log onto education.com? 
  • I love receiving the weekly boost emails, they're a great reminder of what we need to do. 
  • Recently little person has started Spanish, I bought a book or two but it always seems to be the case, neither cover the topics he's learning! However, today I am happily printing body parts and shapes in Spanish. 
  • There are so many different themes and activities you can choose from, learning is fun, and as it goes, learning should always be fun...

if you follow us on instagram you may have noticed our photos using Education.com resources. There have been times when little person has asked to do crosswords, and the first port of call for me has been Education.com. Kids need a huge library of things to do, and for children, activities such as crosswords, mazes, word searches and so on are their relaxation activities (for adults too!). I'm also reaping the benefit of having a subscription with two children, as I can happily find lots of activities for both.  



Try it yourself!

'Put on your life jacket and get ready to do some smart guessing and spelling of creatures that live in the sea!!  Look at Education.com for more fun reading and spelling activities like this!'

Education.com have kindly allowed for me to upload a worksheet and answer sheet (we have loved by the way), for you to try for...free! Who doesn't love a freebie?! 
Print it off and watch your kids enjoy the crossword...my son has loved this (crosswords are his favourite). 
If you've enjoyed this, then hop along to education.comEducation.com to see what else is on offer. Don't forget to let us know how you get along. If you use Instagram, don't forget to take photos of your completed crosswords, and tag Education.com (and me!).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yipee adventure box - bug hunting theme

Yippee adventure box - bug hunting theme box  We  received  the marvellous Yippee  adventure box to trial, and after having enjoyed the  activities  with both 7 and 3 year old,  I  felt a review was worthwhile.  Yippee boxes are  designed  to encourage science,  technology, engineering, art and maths (STEAM), and 'To  facilitate fun and special family  experiences.' Upon opening the 'Bug box' both kids were  overwhelmed   with  the contents and eagerly dived in, so off we were, on our yippee  adventure! What's in the box? The bug box arrived with two categories of activities, 'Bug homes' and 'Go on a bug adventure'.  Bug homes Bug homes activities  were all about that, making, creating and designing homes for  little  creatures. The  first  activity little person dived into was, making his  spider web and spider. The activities can be easily carried out by children, except using the scissors..

Fusha House arabic

I was kindly offered the opportunity to complete a free session using FushaHouse arabic. Arabic has been a language that I've always wanted to learn, and it's also a language I've been passionate about. As little person has taken to writing and reading in English, Arabic was the second language I wanted him to learn. When learning a language, it is important to find resources that are easy to use, especially for younger learners. Over time I have tried so many books, apps and websites, but if the resource isn't exciting or encapsulating, young leaners loose interest very quickly. There is nothing worse than spending so much money and zero use. Nevertheless, I believe we have found a resource that ticks all the boxes. FushaHouse offers interactive learning, it is also child user friendly and the pace enables children to feel at ease, without feeling overwhelmed very quickly into the process. A lot of language resources seem to very quickly move on from basics to

Endangered animals activity pack

We recently received this wonderful fact filled pack from Archiboldclutterbuck (to read more about Archiboldclutterbuck  resources click here). Contents and what we think The pack is made up of an activity booklet and a poster. The poster is a great visual tool; with in depth (but not overbearing-too much to read) information about 6 critically endangered animals across the globe. Each animal is listed with a fact file (for instance type of animal, habitat etc), and reason as to why they are critically endangered. For each animal listed there is a beautiful photograph; I do believe having photography in such posters and texts is important , as it really does bring the whole concept and idea to 'life'. We love the poster as it's a great size, vibrant and easy to understand, with all the vital information but without too much to read, making it a perfect poster!  The activity pack is what you would ideally expect when teaching endangered animals. Learning fo